ISO 45001 Responsibilities of Top Management
The following list outlines the key responsibilities that management must carry out during the design and implementation of the system, and during the maintenance and improvement of the system. Remember that you will need to provide evidence to registration auditors to demonstrate your role in fulfilling each of these responsibilities.
During Design and Implementation
- Establish the OH&S Policy.
- Ensure that OH&S Objectives are established at all relevant levels of the organization.
- Ensure availability of resources.
- Ensure that the planning of the OH&S system is carried out to meet the requirements of the standard and the health and safety objectives.
- Ensure that the roles, responsibilities, accountabilities, authorities and their interrelation are defined and communicated.
- Ensure that appropriate communication is established within the organization and effectiveness of the OH&S management system is communicated.
- Protect workers from reprisals when reporting incidents, hazards, risks and
- Support health and safety committees.
- Maintenance and Continual Improvement of the OH&S management system.
- Communicate the importance of meeting statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Conduct management reviews (per section 9.3).
- Ensure availability of resources (per section 7.1).
- Ensure that the integrity of the OH&S is maintained when changes are made.
Summary of management actions and benefits:
- Define ‘health and safety’ in the form of objectives to help internal communication of what is to be achieved (product and service requirements, process effectiveness and efficiency, OH&S performance etc.)
- Show that the business is central to the system: use your normal business language, not ‘OH&S’ or ISO 45001 terms.
- Produce a simple top-level, “big picture” of your business processes to show how the system improves results by focusing on the improvement of OH&S performance.
- Demonstrate your commitment to continual improvement by focusing on the next improvement and by taking it seriously.
- Show that the ‘health and safety’ approach is becoming instituted by integrating reviews into normal management cycles.
- Ensure that records are turned visibly into management information so that people keeping them understand their importance.
Save time, buy our “Leadership” procedure which outlines the responsibilities of Top Management and describes a process to meet the requirements. This procedure has been used in many successfully registered organizations.
- By starting your system design using this procedure, you will save time and resources that would be spent designing your procedure from scratch. You also benefit from the years of experience that our consultants (Registered Lead Assessors) have and used in designing this procedure.
In addition, we offer an OH&S Manual, a complete List of procedures and Record keeping forms that you can use to design your system. The procedures are in Microsoft Word and are simple to edit. We give technical support all of our customers, answering questions on the standard and on your project by email.