ISO 45001 Training Requirements
Section 7.2 Competence,
Section 7.3 Awareness,
Section 7.4 Information and Communication.
In ISO 45001, section 7.2 requires that personnel be properly trained in health and safety matters; section 7.3 requires that personnel be aware of health and safety issues, and section 7.4 requires that the need for internal and external information and communication be determined.
As with many parts of the ISO 45001 OH&S standard, the training requirements were designed to help improve the organization’s health and safety performance. The standard requires employees to be informed and trained with the knowledge and skill necessary to do their jobs effectively and safely. It is also required to verify that the training provided was effective.
The training and awareness requirements can be met with formal employee training. Address with ISO 45001 Employee Training.
Here is a summary of the training requirements from sections 7.2 and 7.3.
- Define the knowledge and skill needed for each employee to conduct their job in a competent manner.
- Deliver training or other learning activities to develop the required knowledge and skill that can affect OH&S performance.
- Provide a way to prove whether the training was effective (test for understanding)
- Ensure employee awareness of how their activities contribute to the OH&S objectives. They should understand the relevance and importance of their role, the benefits of improved OH&S performance, and the implications and consequences of not conforming to health and safety requirements.
- Keep training records and records of employee education, skills, and experience.
Once an organization determines how to organize a training program to meet these requirements, they must find a way to keep track of the training schedules, evaluation activities and training records for every employee.
- Regardless of the size of the organization, most find these administrative demands very time consuming and difficult to maintain so the information is easily available during audits.
ISO international standards, including the ISO 45001, emphasize the importance of human resource management and the need for appropriate training. They recognize that interested parties – (see Context of the Organization) are likely to both respect and value an organization’s commitment to its human resources and its ability to demonstrate the strategy used to improve the competence of its personnel leading to the improvement in OH&S performance.
Personnel at all levels should be trained to meet the organization’s commitment to safe and healthy workplaces in rapidly changing circumstances where expectations including legal requirements are continually expanding.
We have solutions to your training needs with options for training employees, project managers, and internal auditors. Training of personnel will go a long way in enhancing the internal and external communication of health and safety matters as required with section 7.4 of the standard.
Address your training, awareness, information and communication needs with:
Introduction to ISO 45001 PowerPoint This presentation reviews each section of the standard and has student guides and quizzes to measure the effectiveness of the training.