What is an OHSMS?
Occupational Health and Safety Management System
An OHSMS determines and continually improves an organizations Health and Safety position and performance. It follows an outline and is managed like any other facet of a business, such as with marketing or engineering functions. It provides a framework for supporting safe and healthy workplaces, implementing improvements and meeting regulatory requirements.
Ideally, it is built on an existing environmental or quality management systems (ISO 14001 or ISO 9001)
Here is a basic summary of the outline
- Review the operational health and safety hazards.
- Assess the risks associated with them.
- Determine the controls necessary to mitigate the impacts/risks.
- Define goals for health and safety performance.
- Create a plan to achieve the goals.
- Monitor performance against targets and goals.
- Report the results.
- Review the OHSMS results and continually improve.
Not every system will present these steps in exactly the same way, but the basic principles are the same.
Purchase our OHSMS Package: View Product